Try Vegan PDX is a vegan outreach group in Portland, Oregon. Our goal is to help people who have made the decision to go vegan by offering resources, support and community-building activities.
Whether you have only recently come to the decision to live a cruelty-free life or have been vegan for many years, Try Vegan PDX needs your support. Please tell your friends and get involved!
|Try Vegan Week 2012|
|August 4 - 12 (9:00 - 2:00 AM)|
Try Vegan Week (TVW) is an annual event that is the foundation of TVPDX. This week long series of events is where TVPDX began. The week includes workshops, speakers, dine-outs, and mentoring. The week will conclude with a Vegan Prom, that w ill include music, photos, costumes, and community.
Here is the schedule!!
Saturday, August 4th- day of Bicycle riding
9-11:00am Out to Pasture Yard Sale
- Join others in helping one of our local animal sanctuaries set-up for one of their annual garage sales. Funds raised will go to feed and bedding for the animals this fall and winter.(2907 NE Weidler Street- yellow house across the street from the Hollywood Fred Meyer).
11:15-11:45am Ride to Hollywood farmers market
- Meet at the Out to Pasture garage sale to bike over to the Hollywood Farmers Market and support local farmers. (in front of Grocery Outlet- 4420 Northeast Hancock Street)
12-1:00pm Picnic lunch at Grant Park
- Bring a paper bag lunch and join others in enjoying one of the many parks here in Portland.This will be a great time to network, get some lunch ideas, and enjoy the weather. (36th and Brazee)
1:15-1:45pm Mentor/ Participant event
- If you have a mentor or are mentoring someone through our program, or are interested in being or receiving a mentor, come to this event to give us feedback, get support, and meet other like minded people. (Hollywood Library- 4040 N.E. Tillamook Street)
2-2:45pm Why vegan? Who is vegan?
- Come meet the committee members of Try Vegan PDX and hear each of their personal journeys to the vegan lifestyle. (Hollywood Library- 4040 N.E. Tillamook Street )
4:30-5:30pm The Intrepid Herbivores: Traveling as a Vegan
- Join fellow travelers as we watch the pilot episode for a new TV series by The Intrepid Herbivores, Joe and Sadie. We will exchange recipes from our own personal travels, and share tips with other attendees about being vegan while traveling. (Peoples Co-Op- 3029 SE 21st Ave)
6:30-11pm Sandwich Potluck and Footloose in Brooklyn Park
- Bring two dozen sandwich samples, and a plate to eat other samples on, and enjoy a sandwich potluck before watching Footloose. (Brooklyn Park- 3400 Southeast Milwaukie Ave)
Sunday, August 5th
10-4:00pm Hike on the Columbia River Gorge
- Join an avid vegan hiker/backpacker for a short, beautiful hike just for vegans and their vegan-curious friends! We'll meet at Gateway transit center at 10am and carpool to the Bridge of the Gods Trailhead . From there we will walk up the PCT for a while before turning to visit one of my favorite waterfalls. There we will stop for lunch and to socialize. I thought it might be fun to discuss our favorite vegan trail snacks and also how to find vegan hiking and backpacking gear. The hike is rated easy at about 4.4 miles round trip and 700 feet of elevation gain. Driving distance is about 35 miles from Portland. RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/Viva-la-Vegan/events/74219372/
6-8:00pm Dinner at Papa G’s
- Indulge in a delicious meal at “The most organic vegan restaurant” in Portland. If you have never been to Papa G’s, check out their website http://www.papagees.com (2314 SE Division St. Portland, OR)
Monday, August 6th
7-8:00pm Veganic Gardening
- Join one of the Try Vegan Week organizers as she opens up her apartment to show people how she has been able to produce wonderful compost that has enabled corn, tomatoes, lettuce, swiss chard, herbs, and more flourish in her small garden space. She is also willing to touch on how easy it is to make vegetable broth with no waste. (731 NE Schuyler St, Portland, OR)
Tuesday, August 7th
7:30-8:30pm- Vegan Recipe Exchange and Trivia
- Do you have a favorite vegan recipe you make often or plan to make often? Bring 20-40 copies of the recipe and join others for a night of recipe sharing, talking about cooking. There may also be trivia with an opportunity for you to win an awesome prize from one of our local business supporters. (People’s Co-Op 3029 SE 21st Ave)
Wednesday, August 8th
7:30-8:30pm Gluten Free Baking with Lisa of Petunia’s Pies and Pastries
- Lisa, the amazing woman behind Petunia’s Pies and Pastries, will bring gluten free recipes and samples to share with attendees. She will be there to answer all of your vegan and gluten free questions and will not need much time to convince you that vegan and gluten free can taste amazing! (Whole Foods Fremont 3535 NE 15th Ave, Portland, OR)
Thursday, August 9th
7:30-8:00pm Being an activist for animals
- Come hear from a few animal activists in the community about ways to get involved, what it means to be an activist for animals, and what you can do in your daily lives. (Whole Foods Fremont 3535 NE 15th Ave, Portland, OR)
8-8:30pm Letter writing to AR activists
- Bring cards, markers, stickers, and anything else you want to write letters to people who have dedicated their lives to helping animals. (Whole Foods Fremont 3535 NE 15th Ave, Portland, OR)
Friday, August 10th
9pm-1:00am 5th Annual Vegan Prom
- Our most popular Annual event is back again for the 5th year. This year the theme is formal- that means you can come as a fancy goth, a fancy hippie, or straight up fancy formal. Prom this year will include everything that has made it so awesome the past 4 years- prizes, great music, dancing, delicious food, and great company! See you at the Village Ballroom for the 5th Annual Vegan Prom! (Village Ballroom 700 NE Dekum St., Portland, OR)
Saturday, August 11th
10-11:00am Vegan Fitness and Group Workout with Ed of Plant Fit
- Come check out PlantFit Training Studio in the Vegan Mini Mall (1227 SE Stark, behind Scapegoat Tattoo). Champion Vegan Bodybuilder and owner, Ed Bauer will be there to dispel the animal protein myth, and take you through a fun, yet challenging workout. (wear clothing appropriate for a workout)www.plantfitpdx.com
1-2:15pm Lunch at Proper Eats
- Enjoy a delicious meal with other Try Vegan Week attendees at Proper Eats in St. Johns (Proper Eats- 8638 North Lombard Street)
2:30-4pm Visit St. Johns businesses
- Explore a lovely Portland neighborhood that often goes overlooked. Join others as we leisurely walk while exploring some vegan and vegan friendly businesses in the St. Johns neighborhood.
6:30-8:30pm Singles Dinner at Mississippi Carts
- Indulge in delicious vegan food with other veg and veg curious singles on Mississippi. (Corner of Mississippi & Skidmore)
8:30-2:00am, Bar Crawl down Mississippi
- The annual event that has become one of our most enjoyed of Try Vegan Week is back. This year we will be enjoying libations at local watering holes down Mississippi. Here is the link to the route https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=217916080435060551548.0004c5eadd8b5b71cc52e&msa=0
* Some events will be listed individually on our meetup page like the hike, presentations, and dine-outs so keep an eye out for when those are posted as they will have a limited number of attendees allowed. You can also RSVP to any event listed above by emailing deanna at email@example.com*